Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Six Years Ago Part 2


Six years ago today my Daddy passed away. In honor of him, I'm posting the eulogy I read at his funeral.


Before I can let my Dad go, there are some things I need to say. My Dad is my role model, someone that I have always looked up to. He taught me many lessons that I will always keep in my heart. He wasn't a church going man, but I learned more about religion from him that I ever learned in any church. I learned how to be a good parent, everybody did, just by watching him with my children. Most importantly, I learned from his example of how he treated others. He was truly the perfect father. I never doubted his love for me. When I was a teenager and would get in trouble, my reprimand lasted hours. The first / hour was the trouble, and the last hour and a half was him telling me anecdotal stories from his teenage years, what he learned, what he wanted me to learn from it, and how much he loved me. If I ever had a problem, he was always just a phone call away. Many times Bruce would say "What did your Dad tell you to do?". That's how much of an influence he was in our lives. I can't think of a day that went by when I didn't talk to him, and I'll never forget the talks we had. We spent so much time together. At least two or three times a week we would get together. He loved to support Colter through all of his activities at school. He went to the carnivals, assemblies, reading parties. He did it all. The last week of his life we spent almost everyday with him. Sunday we had a family dinner. Monday my parents came out to eat with us. Wednesday was Colter's Pinewood derby. Dinner on Friday. Movie on Saturday. Obviously, we were close. He was the most intelligent person I have ever known. He was always teaching us and sharing his knowledge about a variety of things. I am so blessed to have been able to have such a close relationship with him. I will miss him in person, but I know he will be with me always in sprit. I will be strong and help his legacy live on. Good bye my dear Dad. I'll miss you.

3 comments:

Barbi and Jodi said...

Paige, That was awesome!!! I am sure your Dad is so proud of you!! You are such a great person and I am proud to call you my friend!!!

XXOO,
Jodi P

Anonymous said...

Oh my heavens a comment on my blog???? I was just taking to a friend yesterday about this very subject. I never realized just how many people read my blog until I got a Facebook account. Now I get blog comments, but on my facebook....Jody, You made my day:)! Thanks so much for your kind words. I have another funny story. One of my computer challenged friends kept trying to leave a comment. She got so frustrated trying to figure it out, she just called me instead.

Keri said...

oh paige- you have me in tears- what a beautiful tribute to your dad... it sounds like he is one heck of a person. i can only imagine how difficult that would have been to read that at the funeral....
take care, when will i see you again???